Friday, July 8, 2011

New Label time

So its time to have not one, but two, labels! One an MFA one and another- Boston-nian thingies. So about the MFA, first. They have been sending me stressful  emails. To begin with they said- Hallo all, we need some volunteers because when orientation starts on Sept 1st we want to plunge right in. Yes, I am all about the plunging. So they need two for that and another two for the real first class on 7th.

Now. I want to you know take the first step mainly because I want to do really well this time, unlike the MBA or  anything else I have studied so far. and two, if I dont go first then I will know what exactly happens in these things, how much they tear you apart and so on and thus I get the feeling all the writing will be in fear. Maybe its just being paranoid because eventually the rotations will bring me there. Anyway I tell A, who gets even more panicked on my behalf and says to go later but I am just looking for that opportunity to change my mind and if he is telling me the same.. Anyway I volunteer for 7th. I am almost done writing one and so far we like it. It just needs lots of re work.

Then they send me the infamous Leslie Epstein Tip sheet renovated and revamped for our benefit with a list of books that you must have read, that show that you are serious about this. :/

Brothers Karamazov
Go tell in on the mountain
Middle March
Don Quixote
and something else I forget now. I have read exactly one on this. The mail also says to brush up on Russian and in the spirit of the same I go and get Bulgakov and well, Donoghue. The mail also asks that you do not  write like Woolf and so I sort of give Voyage Out a break.

The literature courses for Fall look so interesting, one is Immigrant literature by Prof.Ha Jin and its got some of the best eleven books to read and in all likelihood I wont be taking it. Its so painful, the system. The finances and other associated things makes it impossible for me to take any courses other than workshops this fall. I wonder if they will let me sit in it without paying. Anyone? Does it work like that?

Then, as for Boston. I found the apt! Yes, I did. Its not an apt, its a room in a house and my aunt who saw it really liked it and that by itself is enough for me to take it up. The lady is an art school director and her daughter an aspiring writer. Ha.
The room has a pvt bath and everything else shared and fits in my price range. So all good. Oh and just a brisk walk to the green line, commuting is my big fear.

The visiting prof is Sigrid Nunez who I only knew of because of her Susan Sontag connection but its probably best I get updated on all faculty work. So I am about to go buy four more books. There is also some Labour Day picnic thing at this Prof.'s house that I am already dreading. With my fear of social occasions I will have to push myself out for this one. and its a Poet Prof! Maybe I should read him too, get a general idea of who he is!
Its giving me heartaches and headaches, the whole social aspect of this! I just want to sit in some cafe or my new room and write things! I no meet people. I no, no.
I will. :/

S

2 comments:

The Bride said...

Huh. Isn't it odd that they tell you not to write like a specific author? What've they got against Woolf?

Also don't be intimidated by the famous people ya. They are just people at the end of the day, and if they expect people to be intimidated by them, then they are just sad.

Heathcliffs Girl said...

I think he was just letting his pet peeve out and sort of warning you not to go on rants while writing. But I dont think I am going to let myself get influenced, (I am going to try ie ) :p Plus I do love woolf so.
And the famous people is totally ok,its just I just dont want to meengle. :/ with any people. I am just scared I think -of literary conversations, I have actually no idea why! I have reasonable opinions and not too low on general knowledge. but STILL.