Yes, we must categorize this so that I dont miss out on anything. Books, writing and reading.
1) Books: I always read more when I am here and buy more when I am home. Current book house guys love me, when I walk in, the dark small mouse like guy will grin showing me all his white teeth. He will sort of half follow me if I am alone, at a respectable distance and if I turn around to ask a question, there he is!
Thus I read four books in the one month I have been here now.
1. The Painted Veil. - W.Somerset.Maugham
My book cover is not as cool this one. And I also did not know that they made it into a movie till I was searching for pictures.
Kitty's transformation is the story, she is shallow and her motives to marry are as silly as they come and Walter her husband though they portray him as a bit of a boiled banana, I got the feeling he was one of those guys girls always dismiss as "my bessst friend", the one they call all hours to whine about their assehole boyfriends while these poor idiots waste time and money on these women who then proceed to wonder 'where are all the nice guys gone!!"
Towards the end though, Maugham writes in a way that makes it impossible to detest her. Despite her new found courage and values she still goes and does something despicable which was the high point for me because I genuinely believe one is not capable of immediate realizations and actions. We learn from some of the mistakes, yes but that doesn't mean we are cured of them all. The same mistake can be repeated if it comes in some other form. I dont think I have explained it well. But nevertheless my second book by Maugham and I still love him.
2) Veronica- Mary Gaitskill
This one I bought a while ago but only found time now. Its a cold hard book. Though what I sensed from it is probably different from what the general review might be. To me it was about cruelty and tolerance and how much pain can we inflict upon us time and again.
The usual reviews speak about beauty and how brilliantly the author explores the dark spaces in peoples minds. Which is yes, true.
The novel is about Allison's youth, her beauty and her foray into the world of fashion in the 80's. Allison's relationship with Veronica, a woman with AIDS and her ties to her family.
3) Fine just the way it is.- Annie Proulx
I had heard of Proulx but mostly so after checking out this artists colony in Wyoming. Someone who is going to be in school with me is going there for the summer which is so awesome. Anyway so I heard how Proulx wrote Brokeback mountain while there. I am not sure how true that is but still I shall definitely apply for next summer if they dont take me for the global fellowship and send me somewhere. :/
Also I didn't know how to pronounce her last name - its simple- pru.
In an odd way Wyoming stories makes me think of my grandmothers life. The Wyoming women take care of a lot of things, home, ranch, kids, horses, cattle. Though of course my gmum didn't have horses she did have to take care of most of the rest and still be a cheerful person, perhaps why I loved the collection so much.
4) The Voyage out- Woolf
Still being read.
So far so good, she does tend to rant a bit but still my patience for her and Atwood's rants is huge.
2) My own writing:
Is actually finally kicking up. After months of a dry spell I am writing two stories at the same time. Somehow its easier this way, a bit of this and that.
one story was not in the list, I have a list of inspirations, sudden jotted down plots. This came to me one night after dinner, Mum me and my sister had gone out to Grand. The guy who holds the door there, a huge man with a funny hat/cap and those Maharaja moustaches- as I call them, long and curved up at the end knows us from frequent visits. My dad always tips him and usually I do too more so from habit.
Also I like doing the whole handshake-tip routine. :o
Though my hand in his giant hands are bit of an oddity. so anyway, he runs and opens our car door and I am rummaging in my bag for my purse when I see him sort of scratch the hair behind his cap in a where-is-the-money, the car has started you will be off in a second! Somehow it reminded me of a dog. waiting for a bone. Quite patiently but almost half scared as though if he exhibits even the slightest irritation the bone will be denied of him.
Our driver hates us tipping anyone. :/ he pulled the car out of the lot, me still staring and wondering. Anyway the story was suddenly born there- if you could say that, combined with another thought I have been wondering about. Anyway I should be done in the next few days, but this time Id like some more opinions. If any of you all want to read it I am willing to send it your way, just send me and email.
heathcliffsgirl@gmail.com
Till then
S

No comments:
Post a Comment