Tuesday, February 14, 2012

My hospital tales

So on A's birthday, I got an appendectomy. I mean I did tell him, I wished that we could be together for his bday, but not like this!

So on 29th morning I woke up around 7 with a solid belly ache which did not feel like period pain. I went upstairs and kept waiting for it to pass but it wouldn't. After a few hours of suffering, I gave in and my housemate drove me to the hospital. I worried a little about insurance. Although I have an insurance card, all I knew is that, someone would pay for something. But the pain got progressively worse so I didn't have to think much about that one.

At the hospital, which is close to where we live, my room mate kept me company while I was nauseous in the ER and throwing up. I had to put my fingers in, for that would keep me sane for a little while.
I am just a little depressed that she had to see that! Anyway, I got this kinda hyper doc, who was sort of all over the place. They finally gave me some pain meds and I calmed down. Took an ultra sound and we concluded that  my ovaries and uterus are all A plus. And then someone brought up Appendicitis but my symptoms weren't in line with normal appendix ailments.

The pain meds made me all sleepy and I didn't have my phone and so I called A from my room mates phone and then the doctor said that I have a slight cervical infection and gave me some Oxycodin and send me home. All is well that day. I have a pain tablet and one infection ridding tablet at night.
By next day early morning, we are back in business. Same routine.
She drives me, I check in, they ask me my bday, I whine and cry and throw up, doc comes--different and older man who was fairly sweet. This time we do a more invasive ultra sound and conclude that it is indeed appendicitis. You couldn't have done that yesterday.

They schedule me for surgery for that night. Everything is moving too fast for me. A said he will come and I say, don't. I can easily manage. PAH. what was I even thinking. There was no way I could have remotely imagined what was in store for me. A booked tickets. In the ER, they come and tell me that surgery is at 6, its five now, but there is a man outside with chemical spilled in his eye, so can we please wheel your bed out into the hall. :/ I say, well, since man with chemical in eye is clearly in more pain, sure, go ahead, but give me pain meds, so that I can sleep in this hall place. Which they do.

All I remember is an oxygen mask being placed and then waking up in a room and talk about A's timing! I open my eyes and he is walking. Its all so dream-like, guys! And then I pass out again and when I wake up, he aint there and I wonder if I imagined him but then I see his luggage near the door. Again, all is well.
More throwing up but fell asleep finally. Next day, had stew for lunch and my room mate picked us up and by night we are home.

That was tuesday. A plans to leave that following Monday or Tuesday after taking me to class for a day.
On Saturday, A and my room mate go shopping. They go to Indian store, there is a Dosa Factory here, they get food and come back. We have lunch and I am a little uncomfortable from gas and other related ailments but I try and fall asleep. By night, I feel a little better. By three o clock,Sunday morning, I am up in such MISERABLE FUCKING SHITTY PAIN that I HAVE NEVER EXPERIENCED IN MY FUCKING SHITTY LIFE EVER EVER AND WILL PROBABLY NEVER EXPERIENCE AGAIN FUCK THAT WAS PAINFUCKINFUL.

A doesn't let me put my fingers in and puke, so I try to beat him.
By six, I have given up. My room mate drives us back to the ER. DYU guys see a fucking pattern here.
Anyway. Oh I also managed to lose my driving license the last time I was there-- just some information.
Back in the ER, they tell me that I am full of shit. Really. Constipated out till my brains probably. and thus begins my five day misery journey. They give me this pill thing, shoved up ass so that I can take a good shit. Y'all don't need this image, I know. but TAKE IT. I am even caps locking it.
and when that doesn't work, they give me enemas. Do you want me to tell how wonderful an enema is? Perhaps not.

The pain just gets worse and no one knows why. except for the shit part, which shouldn't ideally do this much damage. I am vomitting every ten minutes. They stop the pain meds, because that's just worsening the constipation. By night, I am down. They try to insert a tube in my nose so that they can drain the fluid in my stomach but the doc doesn't do it properly or my throat is fucked from the vomiting so all that ends up is in more blood.

They move me to a room where they inject and pump me full of nausea medicine which despite me telling them doesn't work, they continue. I am in this room for three days straight being enemead and vomitting. Lost 12 pounds. Blood and bile. Throat bled. Finally on Thursday I started to cry so much that they brought in  GI Doc who asked me to stand up and hug her. I don't know how that helped. Seriously. They moved me to Internal Medicine on Thursday, stopped all meds except a sleeping pill and waited. Friday morning I was all right. No puking.

Put me on a BRAT diet. and Friday we went home. Except for nightmares--in one of which I dreamt that my heart stopped and I was frantically calling out for A, asking him if my heart just stopped and revived itself.

The reasons are many. First they think it might have been an stomach infection that lead to pseudo appendicitis syndrome or chrones disease. They can't do a colonoscopy but I will have to schedule it soon.
I can tell you honestly I have never been more tired ever in my life.

PS: My husband is the best. End.





5 comments:

june said...

hmmm

Carpe Diem! said...

Oh my! Get well soon!

The Pixy Princess said...

GwadAlmighty! Are you betterness now?

Heathcliffs Girl said...

:) I am fine, PP. Thank you!

Madhavan said...

i missed this somehow (guess thats y u arent talking).. hey call us whenever u need anything..we arent that far from ur place..menon knows the number, else it is 7328222930. hope u r much better now.