Thursday, January 19, 2012

Day One

I have been nervous about this for months now although by my usual methods of suppression and repression I had managed to ignore it. But finally, the first day of being a Prof. rolled around and that was today.
I personally didn't think I could be a good teacher, well, still don't. but I am surprised at how much I loved it! And also by how much I feel for these kids. They all seem like perfectly good kids. 9girls and 2 boys. I am doing an Introduction to Creative Writing on thursdays from 2: 5.
When they first put up the list, all classes started filling out fast except mine and this other girls', both thursday. My co ordinator said, don't worry, it will etc etc and that thursday, thats why! Kids don't want to study on thursdays and fridays apparently. Well, no surprise there! But I was worried at how I had at that point in Novemeber, barely four kids! And then i envisioned them canceling my class and taking away my money. Clearly I need to look up the word CONTRACT now and then.

A, when told of all these miseries of mine behaved exemplarily and unfortunately for him I was very short with him. I was like-I just don't understand why you don't understand the gravity of this situation :/
Then I worried how after my class one, kids would drop my course like hot cakes because I am ( insert self deprecating) joke

ANYHOW. No one dropped anything, class was wonderful and I love my kids already.

My housemate, Abigail, to whom also I have taken to pouring out my troubles and who happens to have a sunny disposition, said: you have nothing to be worried about, you will be naturally good at it. I can sense it and plus you are funny.

See? Thats the second person who has said that to me. I am definitely funny. I am going to go with that. And then today I got an email after I got home from this kid who said, Prof. R, I was wondering if I could shift to your class! Haha. Last laughs and all that.

More later.


2 comments:

Carpe Diem! said...

That's so awesome!! :D Your blogposts definitely have a much happier ring to them now than sometime ago, when things were not so clear for you. I'm so glad for that! :)

The Pixy Princess said...

Oh God! I have so much to catch up on... but for starters, Congratulations on the teaching gig... shaping minds and all that jazz!!! :)