Thursday, October 13, 2011

Friends

The thing about friends is, some of them happen when you least see it coming. I like this group I am in, I like some more than the rest. I dislike two not because they are unsufferable or they lack something, its just my petty minded-ness.

The closest friend I have is my korean girl.She reminds me a bit of June and that is consoling. We get along, we hang out, but we never tell everyone else, that we are. Its sort of like a guilty secret.We discuss the rest. Initially I was apprehensive because its a small group and I didnt want to create any problems but it got too much inside and its cold outside. Do you know when its really cold its hard to be alone? Its a theory that I am thinking about more. Maybe in winter, people hook up more. I should finds stats for this.

Anyway, then there is M, who I really like, and I can sense its a mutual feeling. We always defend the other in class and I am really not doing it for any personal gain, like a two way street. Its because I think is genuine and I adore her spunkiness.

And now, there is. D. He is the weirdest of the lot. I sense something terribly wrong with him. Like a front that he has put up, that needs a lot of work. I totally know what it means and maybe that is why I can sense it. His writing is like a spiral staircase, its a climb, and then it drops from a very high point. I loved it, everyone else pretty much disliked it. Me and M, kept defending it much to the Prof.s annoyance. So far I think, D had it worst. D was told not to even to consider using this story.
Anyway what makes me write this post is, D sends me an email saying in short, paraphrasing, "Do you have a friend in this group? someone you can vent with? I can be your friend, if you want. I felt moved to ask you."

No one except this guy will write an email like this. Its exactly the kind of thing that people laugh at you for, the kind of thing that you think about, but never say loud. Some kind of mental conditioning. Its funny and sad at the same time.
I am not surprised at the email, nor its tone. I dont see him speaking any other way. The only thing that surprises me, if a certain kind of persona has been worked at for years and years, then why would you let it slip? I would never allow myself to slip. Unless, I am getting the whole persona wrong.

D has an insight that is rare, to see the things in other people's stories, things that most people miss but when it comes to his own work, he stumbles. It becomes too obvious, obtuse. something goes wrong and it takes monumental effort for most people to see through that. I loved the story on the first read. It was so disheartening to see people say- I didn't get it, dont confuse the readers, dont use such fancy language. Dont, dont, dont.

Its always about what is not there, in a work, its never enough what is there, what you imagined, plotted and strove at. That is never enough.
S

No comments: