Friday, July 27, 2012

Young Adult

You know what the best thing about being an adult is? That you can eat anytime, anything, anywhere and not be judged/ reprimanded/ judged..
My friend S messaged me that she is eating a lot of bad foods because of the stress: Popsicles, frozen yogurt, deep friend chicken from a chinese place, dumplings by the bag etc. Although I am completely all right with eating food at any time and any hour, I thought about it a bit and realized that I don't quite do it. I think I will since I am allowed to indulge me whenever I wish but never like my friend.
For e.g, today I had lunch at 12. :/ after breakfast at 11. Because I couldn't sleep last night, I drank some nyquil and in the morning woke up feeling like zombies had danced on my skull. So I had lots of chaya and water and still felt groggy. and then I see there is no food. There is but it needs cooking. I look for a while at take out menus but everything looks queasy. So I fried the swordfish and made rasam and drank a lot of lime juice. I am sure there is something wrong with my bladder, I peed like 8 times in 4 hours/ less. Anyway that should be an other indulgence post. So around 3 I begin to feel really hungry and I think why not eat all of my room mates cheese puff things. But I DONT. No matter how much I wanted to, I don't. Then I thought fondly of this terrible place next to my house called the xx Roast Beef place and their cheesecake. I have been known to arrive there at 10 in the night in my pajamas and order just three cheesecakes, please. But I don't.

My friend was also telling me how despite it being so hot and having no ac she refuses to buy a fan. She takes a shower every few hours and sleeps fitfully. I was incredulous! Trust me its sick hot and kind of humid. She keeps saying she is going to leave soon and there is no point. I didn't exactly understand but today when I kept looking at food pictures and resisting, I kind of felt like I got her point.

When I was young--I feel very old and cranky these days-- and we went to my lovely lovely grand mothers for the summer there was a store muri where she would keep all the chakka, manga, thenga, pazham for it to ripen in a sack. Around afternoon everyone would take a nap. Me, settled comfortable against her warm belly and then we would wake up around four and she would go to clean the lamps for the evening and I would make a visit to the store room and happily eat five-seven pazhams and a mango and then eat some fish pieces with it. One day they caught me! They were amused, I can see that NOW, but I was so embarrassed. I didn't do it for a really long time. They kept telling the story to everyone saying how we have this poocha in our house that comes in the afternoons when everyone is asleep!

I miss her so much. Every time I get sad over something else, I end up coming here. By here I mean memories of the summers with her. She was the most kind hearted generous woman for whom I could nothing. It is on her behalf that I let go and forget so many of my Amma's crankiness. Because not only is she my mother but the daughter of the most benevolent woman I have ever had the pleasure of knowing.


So anyway I starved till now, which is 8 o clock and now I am going to fry a batch of papadams and eat it with homemade salsa!

PS: I decided to change the background to white. I think it agrees better with my aged eyes! :D



No comments: