All right so since he wont blog about it, I shall. A and I are moving to Chicago end of this month. The PhD is almost done ( defense left) and we are not students anymore but "responsible adults"! :D One can hope! But seriously, yay us! I was so super scared I was going to end up in Kalamazoo or Bethesda or some place in the "middle of nowhere" that even liberal white people find difficult to adjust to and so there is no way A and I could have been happy in a town with nothing to do --the kind of things we like i.e-- and so I am so RELIEVED it's Chicago. I have been here multiple times since its only a five hour drive, if he drives and six and a little more, if I drive from Bloomington and we have always had so much fun! There are relatively cheap things to do, an excellent China Town, Jazz places, cheap book stores, super libraries, a place where we can run, a thriving and fairly cheap farmer's market I have discovered with a little snooping and right in the area where we plan on living and the theater scene seems all right and more importantly, most importantly, there is the best Kerala food to be had and a Kerala grocery store! Wheee!! Not to mention Malayalam movies that arrive in a few months at the cinemas!
Really, what more could I want? Well, I suppose I need to make some friends! I am actually looking forward to this but I have no idea how to go about it! I really don't know anyone! Any suggestions are welcome, btw.
But for now, wheee!! Come visit me! :D
Really, what more could I want? Well, I suppose I need to make some friends! I am actually looking forward to this but I have no idea how to go about it! I really don't know anyone! Any suggestions are welcome, btw.
But for now, wheee!! Come visit me! :D
5 comments:
All the best to you and A :)
Hmmm!! I was hoping it'd be Boston or New York or some place close (to us). But hey, All the Best!!
Thanks, Anon!
Madhavan: I know! I was fingers crossing for Boston, too! :/
In Chicagoland , you must dine at Chowpatti Vegetarian Restaurant in Arlington Heights ,IL. It is located a half hour from downtown/ loop area. They serve authentic Bombay style chaat items ,in a healthier version,compared to back home.Keep in mind they are pricey, but well worth it for the quality and the consistency that they provide. outside of Bombay , this is te only spot for authentic sev puri, bhel ,vada pao and bhaji pao , super yummy !
Ha! This is just in time, I have been obsessively Yelp bookmarking under "Things to eat"!! Thanks!
Post a Comment