Monday, March 4, 2013

Read my links

Earlier I would send P all the interesting things on the interwebz or read something and "Like" it on Facebook and then we could discuss it sometime but now that she is super busy, I have no one to link with! So well, here are a bunch of interesting things.

Essays from Flavorwire. Flavorwire often has really good stuff up and I have bookmarked this for a slow read, there are seventeen links/ essays by women and I have read just one so far-the one by Adrienne Rich.

Happy Story
This has probably doing its rounds on the web but this is such a warm your heart to it's deepest cockles kind of story that you want to read it and feel good about the world.

A bit random and steering away from news, but look at the dog I want! : Puppy
And even when they grow up they still kind of look the same!

If you watch the show Girls, then you would understand this! : Girls
I am always in two minds about the show, but it is still worth a watch.

The following is one of the best articles I have read in a while about gender and sexual violence and it merits multiple close readings. This.  It made me think of things that we casually tell children. For e.g something on the lines of telling a boy child, " To not cry like a girl." or " Why do you take so long to dress, are you a girl?" or the very American, " Don't throw like a girl." or even the way people say," That is soo gay!"
This article tries to examine words and language and how important it is to understand the deeper implications of what we say. Here is a short sentence that quite sums it up: "The destruction of gender inequality must begin with the deconstruction of the language in which such inequality takes shape and keeps a hold on our lives."

My friend send me this song which is the cover of a famous Malayalam song and it is beautiful!
Check out their other stuff too!

A new book is out! I know the excerpts seem liked already mined territory but I do think this one is going to be really good. Check it out: Book.

This here is written by Lidia Yuknavitch, author of Dora: A Headcase, and this brings to focus a lot of uncomfortable truths but also asks much needed questions about how and why women view certain things as acceptable and continue to bear. Someone recently had on a status about Rihanna going back to her horrid boyfriend and how she is a 'stupid cunt'! It was appalling because sometimes  it will take someone multiple attempts to get out of a wrecking relationship and in a culture that is all too keen on judging your balls off, it probably will take more attempts.

I did not see the Oscar ceremony but I read about it and what the fuck! Look here! I will admit the article sometimes reads a bit too much into it or maybe not but isn't it amazing how okay it is to be this sexist in an event of such mass viewership.



I CANNOT STAND Anthony Bourdain and his terrible show. I find him so offensive and not in the least bit funny but somehow this episode in the Amazon and Belem wasn't so bad. Although he does refer to a man who climbs a coconut tree as, humping a tree. It is this very, you know,voyeuristic, let's look at how the "natives live" attitude that pisses me off. Asshole. Whose line was that btw? Joseph Conrad?
Anyway check this out. And also oh good lord, you should totally see his visit to Haiti and how his "white savior" bullshit role gets him in trouble. Ugh. I just- Anyway.


This is a superb essay on poetry and what it means for poetry to be accessible  I got Wasteland and Other Poems while in Istanbul and I will admit that a lot of the times the language, references elude me but at no point did I think that it was elitist but I would only assume that it is a failing of my own knowledge that is prohibiting me from completely getting down with it! Look at this,

" Yet, suddenly the poet them self is an elitist if the poem’s language resists immediate familiarity. Poesis means _to make_ not _to make familiar_. And this charge of elitism is possibly the saddest failure of imagination. […] In fact, this call for “accessibility” in poetry is a ruse itself to prevent us from encountering language that might alter us."

AND " Saying, “I don’t get it” or, worse, blaming it on the overly obscure poets writing to “show off” as Billy Collins claimed on “Talk of the Nation,” is just a way of rutting ourselves in the little trench we’ve dug to stay safe in the familiar, in the world we like to think we recognize and know. Poems destabilize that, seemingly effortlessly, so it’s no wonder poets […] appear blameworthy themselves."





2 comments:

The Bride said...

Read your links, and thanks! Especially liked the Lidia one.

The Kafila one, while I take her larger point, I think the comment by Naveen on that piece echoed what I was thinking.

Heathcliffs Girl said...

I didn't see the comments till now! There are so many by now. You mean the implicit vs explicit language argument? I agree with that, too.