Wednesday, July 3, 2013

In which anger means crying

One of the things I hate is when a woman reacts rather strongly to something and people ask/ decide for themselves that "Yeah, she must be on her period!" or the "she must be menopausal" or whatever on the lines of crazy hormonal bitch. Once on Walking Dead, yup, on the zombie show that I watch, one dude asks another dude whether all the women are on their period because you know sometimes when women hang out together for long periods of time they all get crazy together because of all the hormones. Well, I am not watching the show for its stellar writing but really, this is a thing. Long ago my father, uncles and other male varieties used to use this as the excuse when called out on something. 

All this said, I am having hormonal tears a LOT. To understand a lot let me explain. I cried watching Hunger Games. I cry when I watch a borderline adorable ad. I cry when the dosa batter is wrecked. Its more like frustration tears but they are tears nevertheless! And I feel so silly. It really helps that I am alone when this happens. I couldn't bear for someone to see this. When P was visiting two weeks ago, we went out at night and we were all having this discussion about how much is too much advise for a friend/ acquaintance. It was going on fairly peacefully, everyone saying their bit and all that. I could tell that A and P were more closer in their stance than me who was on the other side. And then A says something not exactly too mean but unnecessary and he "laughs" which actually seemed the worser offense and instead of just shrugging it off or arguing back, I cry! It just wont stop and I felt so horrid that P was in the car unable to escape this situation and it becomes sniffling soon. Ugh. It was disgusting. I was pretty angry too but I just wish the tears hadn't happened. 

Its like I am armed with ready made tears. And of course they come for legit stuff too. Like this article on abortion which is one of the best after the Texas filibuster. Here. There is a testimony of a woman here who needed an abortion at six months but no one could give her one and the ordeal. Oh lord, the ordeal which must have been a zillion times made worse by the fact that your insurance screws you over too making it impossible to go to another state to have an abortion. 

People are always telling me now to " have happy thoughts." This is really difficult btw. I try sometimes to have happy thoughts. That sounds odd, I know. I mean I am happy on a ten scale about 6happy. But have you tried to have a happy thought? I have one now. Its quite silly but I really like the build up and the actual playing out of the scene :) Maybe I can make up a few more. 
I finally started a baby diary with A. Its kind of fun to write to peanut. A and I were thinking how sad it would be if we presented it to baby/ teenage baby and he/she was like Yeah Whatever :/ 
Yeah baby, you better not whatever my baby diary! 



3 comments:

The Bride said...

You are preggers so you get a pass. I had the waterworks when I was pregnant too. I remember watching some movie about a father who keeps trying to visit his children and they avoid him and I could not stop bawling.

Also, although it does get better much later (because once you give birth there's PPD waterworks to contend with which is way worse), I think that having cried at the drop of the hat makes it easier to do so. I had a horror of crying in front of people before. But recently that dabbawala ad (donate leftover food) that did the rounds on Facebook make me cry. Not out of happiness because it's such a sweet idea but out of terrible sadness at the happy faces of the kids eating leftover. I found the whole thing grotesque. I bawled.

Heathcliffs Girl said...

That ad, yes! I was crying over a kind of similar one with a little boy who has 50 rupees and does something good with it, I just cant find it although I googled all possible little boy-rupee-do good combinations!!

june said...

I'm now reading all these morbid stories and can't stop crying. At work. And without baby-induced-hormones. :(

"Around his neck, three times and very tight, was the umbilical cord, source of his life, cause of his death"

http://www.msmagazine.com/summer2004/womanandherdoctor.asp