Friday, July 26, 2013

Counsel

My favorite question from the baby book for the current month is as follows, " Even though we are really mentally prepared for the baby we are finding ourselves suddenly antagonistic toward it." I know its not very funny but it totally made me laugh a little!

This was right after I read this Dear Prudie column where this woman was all I am engaged but having sex dreams about ALL THE PEOPLE and should I tell my fiance? And everyone including Prudie was like maybe not sorts. Or maybe you should but be warned of the consequences. Something on those lines. Tbh it all seemed like really bad advice! Maybe that is why she is called 'Prudie'! I mean the woman was having dreams and if you can't tell whoever that you are having dreams then, I don't know!

Similarly imagine if you were having the antagonistic baby thoughts but unable to tell whoever! That would be terrible stress, I would imagine.  Regards baby I haven't particularly had any issues. A did ask if I grudged all the throwing up and gas+indigestion. But I don't. I mean I know what I signed up for and so far baby has been real good to me. All the pregnancy related issues are more or less on the lower scale. So I have mostly been able to voice all my horrid thoughts baby or otherwise without too much eyebrow being raised.
The conversation goes something like, Hey A, can I ask you something? followed by pause, and then, okay, so imagine if....

Lately every time I say this he looks very suspicious though. Like: what now! :D which I don't mind. So anyway the other day I start with my hey can I ask you something.
The something being: Imagine if we were really rich. And if we could afford it and we are happy and we want babies badly but I don't want to carry the baby. So would we hire a surrogate?

I was quite surprised at how hostile he was to the whole idea. He kept saying why surrogate, why not just adopt then? I said, well what if we were insistent on having our own baby and our eggs+sperm worked fine. I didn't want to turn it into a discussion on women's rights and reproduction and so on but I was definitely surprised. So I gave him a couple of other angles. Like what if we I were unable physically or what if it's the second baby but my uterus is compromised ( :/)
Each time he kept running toward -might as well adopt a baby then. So finally I said, so you would grudge me then? and he was like, well, I might not. But wouldn't the baby grudge you at some point?

I don't know. Would it?

Anyway I guess I am glad I get to ask these questions.


No comments: