Friday, April 5, 2013

Things worth mentioning

Did I tell you I love, LOVE my bathroom? I have never had a bathroom this lovely in my whole life. I have seen nice ones in resorts and hotels but I am too suspicious of..diseases and infections to get into the tub, I know it's a lil weird because the same logic applies to an apartment with previous owners. But this one I can scour to my heart's content, at least with bleach and other infection ridding podis.

So anyway when we first saw the apartment I instantly loved the bathroom and this little story came to mind. It was around the time a certain Gilbert released her book and then the movie came and everyone said, oh the book is so much better. I thought, of course, classic line. But I saw the movie and hated it. And I love Julia R but I still didn't care much for it. Soul searching in exotic places. Okay then.
Then my aunt with whom I was staying for a few days said, she loved it. I didn't say anything because when someone says they loved something why pour on their sunshine. But she asked- Did you like it? So I said, um no.
And she said, well you know, you have to be maybe fourtyish and have cried on a few bathroom floors to understand.
I took away from it: the bathroom crying part. This is like a perfect crying bathroom. I can be on the floor and wail if I so wish.

Yesterday while assembling something, of course it ended in a fight and I made a dramatic exit thinking, fuck him, I wont say anything and for a good measure I slammed the bathroom door shut and it made a "shssh" sound. One of the joys after a fight is a door that slams real loud kind of making up for all the below the belt things you didn't say. I will just have to resort to banging a few steel plates in the sink. I remember when my mum did that, I would always think, oh lord, I will never do THIS. I will always engage in peaceful conversations that result in practical solutions. Yeah? Screw 15 yr old righteous me. And mum, please bang away.

Did I tell you Amma paid me the best compliment she ever has in my whole living existence? Yeah! This was in Turkey and it was just both of us at lunch. I wish to all the gods that my father had been there! She said, "You are like the son I didn't have. I would go anywhere with you with the same confidence as I would go with a boy."
I know it's a little out there. You know? But I will take it and hug it and remember it forever! I mean I am probably going to have to wait another 20 yrs for another compliment unless of course I publish my brilliant book and Malayalam tv channels clash around to interview me-which is her version of my success. Yup.

In other news, it looks like I am going to have to assimilate some kind of practical skill. Like Adobe or Quark Express or whatever the hell that these jobs ask for in a sly way. It's kind of like: we prefer this but it's ok if you dont have it but no, not really. You MUST have it. :/

I wish I could do some kind of cooking internship. I would be so happy to just cook, write and read my books!

Oh also RIP Roger Ebert. I usually just read Anthony Lane because somehow I remember him first when I want to check something but I found this wonderful interview and I could relate to so much in it. Given half the chance, I wouldn't throw out anything. Last year A made me throw so many un worn dresses, shoes, bags. Some kind of -if it hasn't been used for more than a year rule. And also: books! Which I didn't though. I asked Abigail to keep it in her basement, I will return for them sometime. And I actually will.

I have a beautiful new book shelf, even though it's Ikea :/ Once I have filled it, A asked me to wait for him too, so once I do I will show you gaiz a photo.





No comments: