Monday, April 29, 2013

Link Time

Been busy with things that aren't blog worthy. However I have all kinds of random things to be linked.
Beginning with sex and literature? Hell yeah. A and I were driving and talking about our top ten priority list and obviously sex and books ranked high and then I came across this which links them both! I have a small crush on the woman named Alicia!
A quick heads up: Don't watch while at work.

I read this book and the link is a NYT review. There is one story in it which blew my mind. It's called The Repatriates and it's one of those stories that kind of chug along and you trust what the narrator has to say or her side of things and then suddenly in just a few lines the author takes it all apart. In this story it's done through just a few dialogues toward the end. Do read!


I got A this book. The title made him look at me like whaa? But he says he likes it so far.

This is a documentary I saw and loved. I have I think expressed my general distaste for godmen/ women earlier but what I did not expect or never quite factored in was loneliness and what it can do to you. Recently Gawker had an article about a woman who dialled 911 multiple times just to chat because she hadn't talked to anyone in so long. The disciples in Kumare was a kind of harsh slap in the face. I mean it wasn't just that people wanted badly to beleive in something bigger but they just seemed to want to just connect with someone so badly. They all had so much in common even though they come from so many different backgrounds. I think it's the way they spoke with such alarming fear about what next.

Race is one of those topics that I can read exhaustively on and here are two articles that express rather eloquently about being "yellow" and being "brown" in America.
This is by Catherine Chung and she uses both personal experiences and current attitudes to explain her stance better.
And this by Amitava Kumar is in the light of the recent Boston bombings. It's interesting but kind of fizzles a little and I probably need to read it again.

Here is a photo essay It kind of makes you stop and wonder a little. And yes, you forget as always and move on but somehow these images have stayed in my head.  It also made me wish so badly that I had had this idea! What an exceptional way to convey a thought.

Well, everyone has been posting about this Dove ad and I saw it and thought not bad at all but something was quite wrong and you had that naggy feeling. It basically shows a bunch of women talk about how they perceive themselves and a man on the other side sketches them based on what they say. Then someone else who has met them describes them and the man sketches again. And then both pictures are kind of compared and the woman inevitably looks better in the sketch described by the other person. Although you know look at the kind of women they picked! I mean there isn't one over weight person. And then this essay came along and explained it all much better than the crowded thoughts in my head.

I don't always agree with James Wood and his reviews but I love this profile about him and his wife, Claire Messud.

Tehelka. Here is an article that yes, generalizes like crrraaazie but, but! all I could think about after reading it was, yeah, I know quite a few of these kinds! Look for it here. Although I think the article could also have detailed on how Indian women enable these attitudes.

I have such a fear of painkillers and unless it's really necessary or painful I try to steer clear. A has this annoying habit of offering me Tylenol for every other thing. The other day I had one of those neck cricks from falling asleep in the same position for a while and it was irritating but will mostly disappear without some pill help but there he is with his Tylenol praise! Look at this.  :/

I watched a bunch of movies of which The Story of Adele H stands out. Isabelle Adjani is so young and so fabulous as Adele. I have always felt that compulsive maniacal kind of love is never really love. It is just standing in for something else that you havent discovered is wrong with your life. And Adele. Poor beautiful Adele just keeps following the captain to different countries, she lies everywhere and to everyone but mostly to herself. There is one scene in particular that I know will stay with me. In which she hands out a handful of crumpled bills to him on a rocky mountainy area where he is on a horse and she is in her raggedy clothes and the expression on her face!  Oh. It's apparently based upon Victor Hugo's daughter's life.

Then I watched a bunch of gay movies that Netflix offered:

1)Far from Heaven: *** Juliane Moore is worth watching. Rest meh.
2)Bloomington: *What the fuck was this movie! Entirely pointless plotless but of so pretty both the actresses!
3)Heavenly Creatures: **** A young young Kate Winslet doing a fabulous job! Based on a true story. I give it four stars simply for Kate itself but Melanie Lynskey, Rose, from Two and a Half Men :/ walks away with the stage! She is so brilliant in this teenage hysteria filled movie. Totally worth it. I also saw an interview afterward about the real life girls who plot the murder and they are all so old now. Apparently a condition of their release was that they never meet each other again.
4) And then came the Lisa Ray, Sheetal Sheth awesomeness! Man, these two kind of belong together had they been gay! There are two movies by the same director.

-I can't think straight is set in London ****
-The World Unseen is set in 1950's South Africa in Apartheid times. ***
I can't quite get over how beautiful they are together. Although I must add that Lisa Ray is quite wooden but tries hard!

Ok that's all for now.






2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Lined-up Kumare for a watch. Have you seen http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/senna/ ?

Heathcliffs Girl said...

No, I havent. But will check the trailer out..