Saturday, November 13, 2010

Exhaustive list

There is only way to read a fiction writing workshop book. Take out the parts that you think suit you.  leave the rest. You cant write like anyone else. I for one, write because its a compulsion, boi's wise words. I write because it needs to be out, finding its own way. I write like how i would eat a cheesecake. savoring some of the words for a while, then rushing to the end. Making no stops for even grammar errors.
I write, using a cliche here, because its like coming home. Each time the plane lands at cochin airport, i see all the greenery and the water and there is this throb, this anticipation of everything. That is how it feels to write. Like i am coming home finally to words that were ignored were so long because of stupid MBA's and Economics.
I always had stories. Mostly i dreamt them. I woke up with the threads loosely connected and joined them up. But these stories were never written well. They did not have clarity and they had nowhere to go.
But now they are all being written, beautifully, if i may so. I will say so. They will be send off into the world into what my hearts tells me is going to be about 90% chances of rejection. Which is fine with me. i mean there are about 300 applying for 6 seats,in most places. I can actually believe that if i dont make it its because there was someone better but i have to try, cos you know, i have to know.

This is just the beggining of my exhaustive reading list for the next one year. Here are some of them.

1. Loosing eddie- Deborah Corey
2. Adventures of Huckleberry Finn. (again)
3.Ball of fat- Guy De Maupassant
4. Dead Souls- Nikolai Gogol
5. Easter Parade- Richard Yates
6. The girls in their summer dresses- Irwin Shaw
7. The beast in the jungle- Henry James
8. The Human Factor- Graham Greene
9. where are you going, where have you been? - Joyce Carol Oates
10. Notes from underground- Dostoyveski
11. Middle march- George Eliot
12. Patriotism- Yukio Mishima
13. Mayor of Casterbridge- Thomas Hardy (again)
14. Citadel- A.J.Cronin
15. Sally Bowles- Christopher Ishwewood
16. Shiloh- Bobbie Ann Mason
17. The artificial Nigger: Flannery o' Connor
18. Ward vI- Chekhov (again), Link, If you are interested
19. Death of Ivan Ilych- Tolstoy
20. Sketches from a hunters album- Ivan Turgenev
21. The girl on the plane: Mary Gaitskill
22. The metamorphosis: Kafka (again)
23. The old forest- Peter Taylor
24. The bride comes to yellow sky- Stephen Crane
25. Laughters in the dark- Nabokov (again)
26. sister Imelda- Edna O Brien
27. The sound of the fury- Faulkner
28. The sorrows of young werther _ wolfgang von goethe

Its going to be a while.

No comments: