Thursday, August 2, 2012

Shakespeare

All the Shakespeare I read when I was young weren't verses. They were abridged copies, so now when I am reading again the real words with a vague whirl in my head of knowing the story but not entirely remembering it, it is the best feeling in the world!

So far I have done Hamlet and Tempest and I just saw the movie by Julie Taymour with the female Prospera played by a wonderful queenly Helen Mirren. I definitely loved it, although I am sure I like the version I had in my head better. I am not even trying to be snobbish here, but when it's a production so many things change like Caliban. I love the Caliban in the movie but not as much as the one in head. But definitely like the movie Ariel better.
It's always amazing to note how the ideas he played with are so eternal. Why does that always surprise me?

My father keeps telling me for almost five years now about the virtues of forgiveness and the joys in it. When I read the Tempest and watched the movie I am almost convinced, but not yet. Why can't I be old and forgiving as opposed to now? The only difference I can think of is --awareness. To be aware of  being able to maybe let go and forgive now but still choosing to wait it out is probably the mistake I am making as opposed to someone so miserable and in their misery, blind to the joy of forgiving.

And like Prospera ( I love the female better) says: This thing of darkness, I acknowledge mine.

And I am sure I can live with it.

On to Titus Andronicus which apparently no one seems to read and Othello--of course. I think my paper is going to be on Othello and I am sure the Prof. will say: Oh, I wasn't looking for that subtle a meaning :/ Yeah, I have a Prof. who does that!

I said: the only reason I am not entirely convinced that Prospero's forgiveness is based entirely upon their penitence is because no remorse has been shown by the culprits and that to me, it seems a sign of self delusion on his part and a need to believe in the most base quality of being a human.

and he said, long pause later: Oh, I am not looking for that much subtlety.

I don't know!!


I am sure I will remember this because I was pretty pissed.


No comments: