Tuesday, August 7, 2012

Species

There are these terrible people in my class who are my friends. They aren't always so bad except they are.
Okay, so you see, there are these two women in their mid forties. Let's call them SY and MM
SY is mostly all right, has strange tendencies to sort of order you around and if you are like me; who can't exactly stand up and make a point then well you will be reduced to silent mumbles and teeth gnashing. The thing is SY means well mostly, so you got to give credit with that. Except she thinks she has lived THE LIFE and so now all the wisdom she has acquired must be put to good use. So hereby you too should live by the rules she has learned.

MM on the other hand is truly terrible. Like a classic study of self-involvement to the extremes and extremely vociferous if criticized and completely shut out from the world of awareness. I am yet to meet someone worse than her in the awareness department. The undergrad kids in my summer classes pass notes about her literally under her nose and snigger and laugh --they are undergrads!!--- and she won't see it. She can just not shut up! In the class if the Prof. asks a question her hand just bounces and bounces and her voice has this drawl? OHMYFUCKINGOD. Make your god damn point and shut the fuck up. Then she does this thing where instead of sitting in the circle she sits next to the Prof. and pretty much behaves like she is running the class. The Prof. : a wonderful human being bears it in good humor.
Once we were to go to a reading given by one of our writing profs. and I said: Hey you want to go? and she said: No, why should I? He didn't come to mine.

:/ ://

Anyhow.

There is a slightly overweight girl in the class who likes wearing low cut tops and short shorts and a lot of fat kind of bulges over and while I think she has a pretty face, it's hard not to look when her boobs are spilling out and I am very interested in her purple sequined bra!!

So it was with much surprise that I ran into MM and SY bitchin like a pair of old crones during break. I couldn't believe that at their age they were actually being all high schooly over THIS. And then all the terrible fat girl in revealing clothes criticism was rounded off by SY with: Oh god, I am such a prude, I am OLD.
This was clearly said in: Hey, S, tell me I am not an old prude, tone. But I couldn't bring myself to disagree. LIKE HELL YOU ARE NOT. So I just smiled and left and hated myself for not speaking up.

I dont understand this kind of censorship. Isn't it enough that society and able bodied males are telling us what to wear without women adding to it?

I was also quite horrified at this discussion of  being fat. Now it's really not like this girl is obese, she is maybe about 180-190 pounds which is definitely heavy. and I will admit sometimes I do find myself looking away in a bus or train when a morbidly obese person has to be wheeled in or out or something. Or like on my regular bus, I have a regular seat :/ because OCD, and so this guy gets in at a stop before and sometimes he takes my seat and I get upset at how he took my seat because it's the first seat and its easier for him, but then I try to catch myself before I think this!

 Because one) ITS NOT MY BUSINESS and 2) it must be so hard being him. or any one who is fat and has to face the world every day and be the target of looks and look aways and comments and all this equating of being fat to being lazy or dumb which btw a lot of people do here.

Anyway. I sometimes hate these two. I can't believe you want to be a writer and lack such obvious empathy for someone.

So I thought maybe younger people might think differently but no. Here is ED who is younger than me. Her bf has a kid from his marriage and the child has been diagnosed with some kind of special need and is in a private school where they use a lot of creative means to teach and ED tells me: you know, I think she should just go to a public school and just be like forced to learn. What is all this drawing flowers and singing songs bullshit. I went to a public school and I turned out fine.

Clealry, ED, clearly you did.

I don't even---
Anyway. These are the people who are learning to be writers with me. Isn't this amazing?Dont you just want to read the books these folks will write?




1 comment:

pipedreamer said...

U can ruthlessly use them as material for your book. Does MM write well btw?