Saturday, April 16, 2011

The Last minute magic

I havent been blogging about the MFA you know because I had to wait for a bit to let it sink in. Also I assumed you would all have read Boi's Post. If you havent here it is.

So yes! I finally got in. :) It was wonderful, amazing, quite unexpected- Only a tad, I had pretty much given up. So I was working on thursday night and I was just wrapping up and getting out when I got a call and since I had saved his number, it flashed merrily at me: Epstein calling. But before I could pick up it showed up as a missed call. I stood for a few agonizing minutes wondering if I should call back, or if he would again. I kept thinking how he would say very politely of course " Yes we have decided you need to work harder blah blah. we will keep any eye out for you next season".
Finally I gave in and called him, he said "Hey, I just called you, it got cut" I muttered some thing.. He said " can you hang on? I am on another call " :/ sure, why not! Meanwhile I shall give myself a heart attack.

Finally he came back on and said " S, we have decided to take you." Me, suprisingly calm, or into zen like mode as boi says " Oh that is wonderful news, thank you so much" as opposed to " whaaa? and other incoherent words.

He went on to say that he and his buddies had deliberated and he had told them that my most strong story was something he had never read so far. Thank you, Dev and Dev's father. He said my tuition is waived- fully! and that "with my heart in mouth" I am going to give you  T.A spot. yes, me too, heart in mouth my dear director.
He said, dont worry about anything, you are strong in your imagination and the rest, I am assured you can make up. Works for me.

So there it is. Finally its happening. I bet you are all relieved too, what with all constant, consistent whining happening here.

Here is a bit from my email with him "You know how enthusiastic I and the others are about your work. In some ways your imagination is unique. Certainly it is deep and special. I hope you'll say yes.
All good wishes"

Isnt that a lovely line? :) Anyway I have formally accepted and shall be starting this September and meanwhile I shall be focusing thoroughly on the sentence formation aspect of writing, something I have always ignored. 

And you guys, Thanks for all the lovely support for... a while now! To make up, I shall post many food pictures  :p

Love
S
Here is also an important fact : :p Epstein is also Jhumpa Lahiri's mentor. Who btw I am only a bit crazy 
about. Some of her stories are very creative and others just really well written. But sometimes I want to say: Just stop whining already! Well, who I am to talk really? With all my childhood and parent obsessed stories. 


Anyway! More, later.

8 comments:

Jyothi said...

YAYAYAYAY! *happy dance!*

But anyways, i knew it would happen all along, you know... :P

smooth n rippled.... said...

woop woop!! congratulations girly! :D

Madhavan said...

Congrats!! Time to change the header picture on the blog. Am a big fan of jhumpa lahiri too.

Heathcliffs Girl said...

Thanks y'a ll. M: soon, soonly! Finding the right header is hard :p

Parth said...

Heartiest congratulations, and good luck for the journey ahead. Looks like you have had a thrill ride until now, even before your MFA has begun :)

Heathcliffs Girl said...

Parth: :) Thank you for the kind words..

The Bride said...

Yay! So happy for you and wow tuition waiver and TA... super good!!! Maybe that's why all the deliberation, otherwise you would've been in right at the beginning.

Heathcliffs Girl said...

The Bride: Yeah! Perhaps ;) Thanks muchly!